All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Routledge Dictionary of Cultural References in Modern French reveals the hidden cultural dimension of contemporary French, as used in the press, going beyond the limited and purely lexical approach of traditional bilingual dictionaries. Even foreign learners of French who possess a good level of French often have difficulty in fully understanding French articles, t because of any linguistic shortcomings on their part but because of their inadequate kwledge of the cultural references. This cultural dictionary of French provides the reader with clear and concise explanations of the crucial cultural dimension behind the most frequently used words and phrases found in the contemporary French press. This vital background information, gathered here in this invative and entertaining dictionary, will allow readers to go beyond a superficial understanding of the French press and the French language in general, to see the hidden yet implied cultural significance that is so transparent to the native speaker. Key features: a broad range of cultural references from the historical and literary to the popular and classical, with an in-depth analysis of punning mechanisms. over 3,000 cultural references explained a three-level indicator of frequency over 600 questions to test kwledge before and after reading. The Routledge Dictionary of Cultural References in Modern French is the ideal reference for all undergraduate and postgraduate students of French seeking to enhance their understanding of the French language. It will also be of interest to teachers, translators and Francophiles alike. French students in khagne, Sciences-Po and schools of journalism will also find this valuable and relevant for their studies.
- Author BiographyMichael Mould has taught and translated in France for over 40 years. He was Head of the Language and Translation Department at France Telecom Corporate Headquarters in Paris for over 25 years and has been an associate of the Chartered Institute of Linguists since 1981. Previous publications include L'Anglais des Ressources Humaines (2003) and Corporate English (1995).
- Author(s)Michael Mould
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication21/04/2011
- SubjectDictionaries (single language)
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight816 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $64.22Trending at AU $77.83
- AU $21.81Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $21.54
- AU $21.90Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.