All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis new Handbook offers a wide-ranging, internationally focused overview of the field of civil-military relations. The armed forces are central actors in most societies and are involved in many different roles. Amongst other activities, they engage in peace operations, support the police in fighting crime, support civilian authorities in dealing with natural disasters, and fight against terrorists and in internal conflicts. The existing literature on this subject is limited in its discussion of war-fighting and thus does t do justice to this variety of roles. The Routledge Handbook of Civil-Military Relations t only fills this important lacuna, but offers an up-to-date comparative analysis which identifies three essential components in civil-military relations: (1) democratic civilian control; (2) operational effectiveness; and (3) the efficiency of the security institutions. Amalgamating ideas from key thinkers in the field, the book is organized into three main parts: * Part I: Development of the Field of Study; * Part II: Civil-Military Relations in Non-Democratic or Nominally Democratic Countries; * Part III: Civil-Military Relations in Democratic and Democratizing States: Issues and Institutions. This new Handbook will be essential reading for students and practitioners in the fields of civil-military relations, defense studies, war and conflict studies, international security and IR in general.
- Author BiographyThomas C. Bruneau is Distinguished Professor of National Security Affairs at the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California. He has published more than 15 books in English and Portuguese, and recent edited books include, with Lucia Dammert and Elizabeth Skinner, Maras: Gang Violence and Security in Central America (2011) and, with Harold Trinkunas, Global Politics of Defense Reform (2008). Florina Cristiana (Cris) Matei is Lecturer at the Center for Civil-Military Relations (CCMR) at the Naval Postgraduate School.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/06/2015
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note4 black & white illustrations, 15 black & white tables
- Weight680 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byFlorina Cristiana Matei,Thomas C. Bruneau
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.