All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe Routledge Handbook of Stylistics provides a comprehensive introduction and reference point to key areas in the field of stylistics. The four sections of the volume encompass a wide range of approaches from classical rhetoric to cognitive neuroscience and cover core issues that include: * historical perspectives centring on rhetoric, formalism and functionalism * the elements of stylistic analysis that include the linguistic levels of foregrounding, relevance theory, conversation analysis, narrative, metaphor, speech acts, speech and thought presentation and point of view * current areas of 'hot topic' research, such as cognitive poetics, corpus stylistics and feminist/critical stylistics * emerging and future trends including the stylistics of multimodality, creative writing, hypertext fiction and neuroscience Each of the thirty-two chapters provides: an introduction to the subject; an overview of the history of the topic; an analysis of the main current and critical issues; a section with recommendations for practice, and a discussion of possible future trajectory of the subject. This handbook includes chapters written by some of the leading stylistics scholars in the world today, including Jean Boase-Beier, Joe Bray, Michael Burke, Beatrix Busse, Ronald Carter, Billy Clark, Barbara Dancygier, Catherine Emmott, Charles Forceville, Margaret Freeman, Christiana Gregoriou, Geoff Hall, Patrick Colm Hogan, Lesley Jeffries, Marina Lambrou, Michaela Mahlberg, Rocio Montoro, Nina Norgaard, Dan Shen, Michael Toolan and Sonia Zyngier. The Routledge Handbook of Stylistics is essential reading for researchers, postgraduates and undergraduate students working in this area.
- Author BiographyMichael Burke is Professor of Rhetoric at University College Roosevelt (Utrecht University). His books include Literary Reading Cognition and Emotion (2011) and Pedagogical Stylistics (eds. Burke et al, 2012). He is a former Chair of the International Poetics and Linguistics Association (PALA).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication18/02/2014
- Series TitleRoutledge Handbooks in English Language Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note16 black & white tables
- Weight1088 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edited byMichael Burke
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.