All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe renaissance in urban theory draws directly from a fresh focus on the neglected realities of cities beyond the west and embraces the global south as the epicentre of urbanism. This Handbook engages the complex ways in which cities of the global south and the global rth are rapidly shifting, the imperative for multiple genealogies of kwledge production, as well as a diversity of empirical entry points to understand contemporary urban dynamics. The Handbook works towards a geographical realignment in urban studies, bringing into conversation a wide array of cities across the global south - the 'ordinary', 'mega', 'global' and 'peripheral'. With interdisciplinary contributions from a range of leading international experts, it profiles an emergent and geographically diverse body of work. The contributions draw on conflicting and divergent debates to open up discussion on the meaning of the city in, or of, the global south; arguments that are fluid and increasingly contested geographically and conceptually. It reflects on critical urbanism, the macro- and micro-scale forces that shape cities, including ideological, demographic and techlogical shifts, and constantly changing global and regional ecomic dynamics. Working with southern reference points, the chapters present themes in urban politics, identity and environment in ways that (re)frame our thinking about cities. The Handbook engages the twenty-first-century city through a 'southern urban' lens to stimulate scholarly, professional and activist engagements with the city.
- Author BiographySusan Parnell is an Urban Geographer in the Department of Environmental and Geographical Science and also serves on the Executive of the African Centre for Cities, both at the University of Cape Town, South Africa. Sophie Oldfield is a Geographer and Associate Professor in the Department of Environmental and Geographical Science at the University of Cape Town, South Africa.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication27/03/2014
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note70 black & white illustrations, 13 black & white tables, 42 black & white halftones, 28 black & white line drawings
- Weight1430 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Edited bySophie Oldfield,Susan Parnell
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.