All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe roles that media play in the lives of children and adolescents, as well as their potential implications for their cognitive, emotional, social and behavioral development, have attracted growing research attention in a variety of disciplines. The Routledge International Handbook of Children, Adolescents and Media analyses a broad range of complementary areas of study, including children as media consumers, children as active participants in media making, and representations of children in the media. The handbook presents a collection that spans a variety of disciplines including developmental psychology, media studies, public health, education, feminist studies and the sociology of childhood. Essays provide a unique intellectual mapping of current kwledge, exploring the relationship of children and media in local, national, and global contexts. Divided into five parts, each with an introduction explaining the themes and topics covered, the handbook features 57 new contributions from 71 leading academics from 38 countries. Chapters consider vital questions by analyzing texts, audience, and institutions, including: * the role of policy and parenting in regulating media for children * the relationships between children's' on-line and off-line social networks * children's strategies of resistance to persuasive messages in advertising * media and the construction of gender and ethnic identities The Handbook's interdisciplinary approach and comprehensive, international scope make it an authoritative, state of the art guide to the nascent field of Children's Media Studies. It will be indispensable for media scholars and professionals, policy makers, educators, and parents.
- Author BiographyDafna Lemish is Professor of Communication, Interim Dean of the College of Mass Communication and Media Arts at Southern Illinois University Carbondale and founding editor of the Journal of Children and Media (http://tandfonline.com/rchm). She is author of numerous books and articles on children, media and gender representations.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication08/01/2015
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note6 black & white tables
- Weight914 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byDafna Lemish
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.