All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionIn The Rule of Law and Governance in Indigeus Yoruba Society, John Ayotunde Isola Bewaji has two main goals. The first is to provide an exploration of aspects of indigeus Yoruba philosophy of law. The second is to relate this philosophy of law to the Yoruba indigeus traditions of governance, with a view to appreciating the relevance of the Yoruba traditions of law and governance to contemporary African experiments with imported Western democracy in the 21st century. This book is devoted to what can be described as a juridical forensic investigation of Nigeria's predicament of developmental deficit, leading to gross and unconscionable impoverishment of large segments of the population, in the midst of so much natural resources and abundant human capital, using Yoruba indigeus legal traditions as reflective template. Bewaji urges that Africa has to take seriously the necessity of obedience, observance, enforcement and operation of law as respecter of persons, groups, affiliations and pedigrees as was in the case in the societies founded by our ancestors, rather than the present scenario whereby the highest bidder procures semblances of justice from a crooked system of common law which was never designed to be fair, equitable and just to the disadvantaged in society.
- Author BiographyJohn Ayotunde Isola Bewaji is professor in the Department of Language, Linguistics and Philosophy at the University of the West Indies, Mona.
- Author(s)John Ayotunde Isola Bewaji
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication26/08/2016
- SubjectInternational Law: Professional
- Series TitleAfrican Philosophy: Critical Perspectives and Global Dialogue
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Weight603 g
- Width158 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine26 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.