Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $14.70+ AU $3.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by rarewaves-outlet
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $16.48+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLuvvies. Tyrannical directors. Useless agents. Less job security than an England football manager. Who'd be an actor? Michael Simkins isn't sure, even though he's been one himself for over thirty years. Join him backstage as he examines that business called showbusiness, from am dram to Hollywood, and from Shakespeare to ads for flatulence pills. In a career that started as a plump teenager in ballet tights at RADA, Michael has appeared in countless West End plays and musicals, presented safety training workshops for sewage workers, and when resting, worked as a crate smasher at a car factory. He's done movies, soaps, ads, and voice-overs, and worked with everyone from Meryl Streep to Kelly Osbourne. As the ultimate jobbing actor he's flirted with triumph and oblivion without ever quite managing either. In The Rules of Acting he shares his hard-won wisdom. Covering everything from learning your lines to tilting for Oscar success in Hollywood, surviving a flop, to why it's advisable to read the whole script if you wish to avoid improper relations with a pig, it's the ultimate survival guide for anyone contemplating a life in showbiz. Throw out An Actor Prepares! Michael Simkins' book tells actors all they need to kw about the realities of the acting profession; the passion, the struggle, the ble idealism and the heartache . (Helen Mirren). It is thrilling that Micahel Simkins is having such success as a writer - anything to keep him off the stage . (Ian Mckellen).
- Author BiographyMichael Simkins trained at RADA and has since appeared in more than 100 plays and musicals, from the National Theatre and the RSC to the fringe and the West End, as well as in the musicals Chicago and Mamma Mia. He's made countless TV appearances, usually as policemen or unsuspecting husbands as well as turns on the silver screen in such films as Mike Leigh's Topsy-Turvy and The Iron Lady. His first book, his memoir of breaking into the acting profession, has become required reading for drama students everywhere. He is also the author of Fatty Batter, Detour de France and The Last Flannelled Fool. He lives with his actress wife, Julia Deakin, in London.
- Author(s)Michael Simkins
- PublisherEbury Publishing
- Date of Publication05/06/2014
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEbury Press
- Weight375 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.