All listings for this product
About this product
Enhance your Science content instruction with the SIOP Model and transform the academic English and science skills of your English learners.
Based on the best-selling resource, Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The SIOP Model by acclaimed authors Jana Echevarria, MaryEllen Vogt, and Deborah Short; teachers, coaches, and intervention teachers have access to research-based, SIOP-tested techniques for lessons specifically for the science classroom. This highly anticipated book, The SIOP Model for Teaching Science to English Learners addresses the issues faced in teaching science to English learners (ELs) at each grade-level. SIOP techniques and activities organized around the eight SIOP components guide educators in promoting academic language development along with comprehensible scientific content.
Written for SIOP teachers and those who have learned the SIOP Model, this book includes proven, effective science lessons and comprehensive units. In addition, this book provides ideas to adapt the techniques for students at different levels of English proficiency. This book is sure to become an indispensable resource for science educators of English learners.
- Author BiographyDeborah J. Short is a professional development consultant and a senior research associate at the Center for Applied Linguistics in Washington, DC. She co-developed the SIOP(R) Model for sheltered instruction and has directed national research studies on English language learn-ers funded by the Carnegie Corporation, the Rockefeller Foundation, and the U.S. Dept. of Education. She recently chaired an expert panel on adolescent ELL literacy. As the director of Academic Language Research & Training, Dr. Short provides professional development on sheltered instruction and academic literacy around the U.S. and abroad. She has numerous publications, including the SIOP(R) book series and five ESL textbook series for National Geographic/Hampton-Brown. She has taught English as a second/foreign language in New York, California, Virginia, and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Jana Echevarria is a Professor Emerita at California State University, Long Beach. She has taught in elementary, middle, and high schools in general education, special education, ESL, and bilingual programs. She has lived in Taiwan, Spain and Mexico. An internationally known expert on second language learners, Dr. Echevarria is a Fulbright Specialist. Her research and publications focus on effective instruction for English learners, including those with learning disabilities. Currently, she is Co-Principal Investigator with the Center for Research on the Educational Achievement and Teaching of English Language Learners (CREATE) funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences (IES). In 2005, Dr. Echevarria was selected as Outstanding Professor at CSULB. MaryEllen Vogt, Ed.D., is Professor Emerita of Education at California State University, Long Beach. MaryEllen has been a classroom teacher, reading specialist, special education specialist, curriculum coordinator, and university teacher educator. She received her doctorate from the University of California, Berkeley, and is a co-author of fifteen books, including Reading Specialists and Literacy Coaches in the Real World (3rd ed., 2011) and the SIOP(R) book series. Her research interests include improving comprehension in the content areas, teacher change and development, and content literacy and language acquisition for English learners. She was inducted into the California Reading Hall of Fame, received her university's Distinguished Faculty Teaching Award, and served as President of the International Reading Association in 2004-2005.
- Author(s)Deborah J. Short,Jana Echevarria,MaryEllen Vogt
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication29/01/2010
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationOld Tappan
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAllyn & Bacon
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white line drawings, figures
- Weight499 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43