All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'...a welcome addition to the literature in the rapidly expanding field of sports studies. It is up to date, comprehensive, and well and clearly written. Though primarily sociological in its orientation, it will help students -postgraduate and undergraduate alike and their teachers as well - to establish connections between the various sub-disciplines and guide them to sources which will enable them to probe issues more deeply...It is a beautifully crafted book and is sure to be a hit with students and their teachers. It would t surprise me in the least, however, if it appealed to sports lovers more generally...It is a tour de force and I recommend it unreservedly' - Eric Dunning, Professor in Sociology, The Centre for the Sociology of Sport, University of Leicester Sports studies is one of the fastest growing fields in higher education today. The SAGE Dictionary of Sports Studies brings a timely, much-needed and comprehensive tool for all students in this multi-disciplinary field. Each entry provides a basic definition, a guide to research themes and a clear account of the relevance of the concept in understanding sport. Not only indispensable for quick clarification of terms, it will give students a springboard for more in-depth research and critical analysis. It offers: Cross referencing to assist critical thinking A list of key readings for each entry Expert definitions drawn from sociology, history, psychology, ecomics, management and business, politics and policy, physical education and health, and research methods. Concise, student-friendly and authoritative entries. Covering sociology, history, psychology, politics, business, physical education, health and research methods, The SAGE Dictionary of Sports Studies provides the first one-stop reference guide for all students who study the social aspects of sport.
- Author BiographyDominic Malcolm is Senior Lecturer in the Sociology of Sport in the School of Sport and Exercise Sciences. Following a Politics degree at Nottingham University, Dominic studied for a Masters in the Sociology of Sport at the University of Leicester. On completion of the Masters he was appointed Research Associate in the Centre for Research into Sport and Society, where he subsequently became Lecturer and Director of Masters Programmes. He completed his PhD at Leicester in December 2004.
- Author(s)Dominic Malcolm
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication27/03/2008
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight531 g
- Width170 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Other
- AU $24.31New
- AU $49.49New
Save on Other
- AU $19.02Trending at AU $21.52
- AU $35.59Trending at AU $68.30
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $51.26
- AU $18.18Trending at AU $21.94
- AU $37.01Trending at AU $41.25
- AU $26.07Trending at AU $28.18
- AU $34.05Trending at AU $35.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.