All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOffers an intense scholarly experience in its comprehensiveness, its variety of voices and its formal organization...the editors took a risk, experimented and have delivered a much-needed resource that upends the status-quo. - Architectural Histories, journal of the European Architectural History Network Architectural theory interweaves interdisciplinary understandings with different practices, intentions and ways of kwing. This handbook provides a lucid and comprehensive introduction to this challenging and shifting terrain, and will be of great interest to students, academics and practitioners alike. - Professor Iain Borden, UCL Bartlett School of Architecture In this collection, architectural theory expands outward to interact with adjacent discourses such as sustainability, conservation, spatial practices, virtual techlogies, and more. We have in The Handbook of Architectural Theory an example of the extreme generosity of architectural theory. It is a volume that designers and scholars of many stripes will welcome. - K. Michael Hays, Eliot Noyes Professor of Architectural Theory, Harvard University The SAGE Handbook of Architectural Theory documents and builds upon the most invative developments in architectural theory over the last two decades. Bringing into dialogue a range of geographically, institutionally and historically competing positions, it examines and explores parallel debates in related fields. The book is divided into eight sections: * Power/Difference/Embodiment * Aesthetics/Pleasure/Excess * Nation/World/Spectacle * History/Memory/Tradition * Design/Production/Practice * Science/Techlogy/Virtuality * Nature/Ecology/Sustainability * City/Metropolis/Territory. Creating openings for future lines of inquiry and establishing the basis for new directions for education, research and practice, the book is organized around specific case studies to provide a critical, interpretive and speculative enquiry into the relevant debates in architectural theory.
- Author BiographyProfessor C. Greig Crysler holds the Arcus Chair for Gender, Sexuality and the Built Environment and is Associate Professor of Architecture at the University of California. Professor Dr Stephen Cairns is Programme Leader of the Future Cities Laboratory in Singapore. Hilde Heynen is a Professor of Architecture at the University of Leuven in the Netherlands.
- PrizesWinner of Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2013.
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication15/10/2013
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Weight1238 g
- Width184 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Edited byGreig Crysler,Hilde Heynen,Stephen Cairns
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.