All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Roman philosopher and dramatic critic Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65-3 B.C.), kwn in English as Horace, was also the most famous lyric poet of his age. Written in the troubled decade ending with the establishment of Augustus's regime, his Satires provide trenchant social commentary on men's perennial enslavement to money, power, fame, and sex. Not as frequently translated as his Odes, in recent decades the Satires have been rendered into prose or bland verse. Horace continues to influence modern lyric poetry, and our greatest poets continue to translate and marvel at his command of formal style, his ecomy of expression, his variety, and his mature humanism. Horace's comic genius has also had a profound influence on the Western literary tradition through such authors as Swift, Pope, and Boileau, but interest in the Satires has dwindled due to the difficulty of capturing Horace's wit and formality with the techniques of contemporary free verse. A. M. Juster's striking new translation relies on the tools and spirit of the English light verse tradition while taking care to render the original text as accurately as possible.
- Author BiographyPoet A. M. Juster's books include Longing for Laura, a translation of selected works by Petrarch, The Secret Language of Women: Poems, winner of the Richard Wilbur Award, and a new translation of Tibullus's Elegies. Susanna Braund is Canada Research Professor of Latin Poetry and Its Reception at the University of British Columbia.
- PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Date of Publication30/01/2012
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Weight236 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated byA. M. Juster
- Introduction byProfessor Susanna Morton Braund
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.