All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe elderly husband of Hester Prynne returns unexpectedly to their New England village to find his wife nursing an illegitimate baby and wearing a scarlet letter 'A' - for Adulteress - embroidered on her dress. While her husband embarks on a vengeful hunt for the child's father, Hester refuses to name him because he holds a respected position in the Puritan community. In desperation, the lovers make a secret plan to flee to Europe with their young daughter. Hawthorne's story caused a stir when it appeared in 1850 and remains a milestone in American fiction.
- Author BiographyNathaniel Hawthorne (1804 1864) was a prolific American writer of fiction, including eight novels. He also worked in local and national politics, with an appointment in Europe during the presidency of Franklin Pierce. Hawthorne is considered to be one of the greatest American writers.
- Author(s)Nathaniel Hawthorne
- PublisherArcturus Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2009
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleArcturus Classics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintArcturus Publishing Ltd
- Weight159 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.33
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.20Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.07Trending at AU $49.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.