All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA captivating story filled with English charm, lumius wisdom, and astounding spiritual insight Goudge's singular gift is the depth and insight she brings to her characters. Mary Lindsay is a born and bred Londoner who has enjoyed her city life--a prestigious job, and friends with whom she takes in the city pleasures of theatre, art and music. But fleeting memories of a childhood visit to her father's elderly cousin out in the country are revived with the news that the woman has willed her home, the Laurels, to Mary. She makes an uncharacteristically sudden and life-changing decision to leave London for the country. The gradual unfolding of her understanding of herself, of the w-deceased woman who has bequeathed her home to Mary, and of the people of Appleshaw, all weave together in a most memorable story of love's redemptive power.Customer Reviews: I am t a person who re-reads books, but this is one that I feel the need to read again on a regular basis. I wish this would be published again so I could share it with more people. Just reading the book felt like someone had given me a special gift. It's hard to describe this lovely, enchanting book. It's one of my favorite books and I periodically reread it. It has lovely descriptions of Nature and is a story about the most sacred mystery there is: Love, all kinds of Love. This is probably one of the most life-affirming books I have ever read.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Goudge was a British novelist (1900-1984) born into the home of an Anglican priest and theologian. She wrote children's books as well as novels--her Green Dolphin Street was made into an Academy-Award winning film. In style and themes she parallels English writers such as the creator of the Miss Read series as well mirroring the spiritual depth found in George MacDonald's Victorian novels. She won the Carnegie Award in 1947 for The Little White Horse, which is J. K. Rowling's favorite children's book.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Goudge
- PublisherHendrickson Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication26/07/2012
- SubjectSpiritual Writers
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHendrickson Publishers Inc
- Weight390 g
- Width141 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.74Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.