All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionHow can ecomics become genuinely quantitative? This is the question that French sociologist Gabriel Tarde tackled at the end of his career, and in this pamphlet, Bru Latour and Vincent Antonin Lepinay offer a lively introduction to the work of that forgotten genius of nineteenth-century social thought. Tarde's solution was in total contradiction to the dominant views of his time: to quantify the connections between people and goods, you need to grasp 'passionate interests'. In Tarde's view, capitalism is t a system of cold calculations - rather it is a constant amplification in the intensity and reach of passions. In a stunning anticipation of contemporary ecomic anthropology, Tarde's work defines an alternative path beyond the two illusions responsible for so much modern misery: the adepts of the Invisible Hand and the devotees of the Visible Hand will learn how to escape the sterility of their fight and recognize the originality of a thinker for whom everything is intersubjective, hence quantifiable. At a time when the regulation of financial markets is the subject of heated debate, Latour and Lepinay provide a valuable historical perspective on the fundamental nature of capitalism.
- Author BiographyBruno Latour is the author of many books, including We Have Never Been Modern, and is vice president for research and professor at Sciences Po Paris. Vincent Antonin Lepinay is assistant professor in the Program in Science, Technology, and Society at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Author(s)Bruno Latour,Vincent Antonin Lepinay
- PublisherPrickly Paradigm Press, LLC
- Date of Publication12/02/2010
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrickly Paradigm Press, LLC
- Weight91 g
- Width114 mm
- Height177 mm
- Spine5 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.