All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Marco Roth's book about his father is a farewell to a bygone culture - polygot, intellectual, Europhile, psychoanalytic - and simultaneously a renewal of that culture. It's moving, tough-minded, and distinctive, a memoir the likes of which body else could write.' Benjamin Kunkel, author of Indecision With the precociousness expected of the only child of a doctor and a classical musician - from the time he could get his toddler tongue to prounce a word like 'deoxyribonucleic acid' or recite a French poem - Marco Roth was able to share his parents' New York, a world centered around house concerts, a private library of literary classics, and dinner discussions of the latest advances in medicine. That world ended when his father began to suffer the worst effects of the AIDS virus that had infected him in the early 1980s. What this family would t talk about for years came to dominate the lives of its surviving members, often in unexpected ways. The Scientists is a story of how we first learn from our parents and how we then learn to see them as separate individuals; it's a story of how preciousness can slow us down when it comes to understanding our desires and other people's. A memoir of parents and children in the tradition of Edmund Gosse, Henry Adams and J. R. Ackerley, The Scientists grapples with a troubled and emotional inheritance, in a style that is both elegiac and defiant.
- Author BiographyMARCO ROTH was raised among the vanished liberal culture of Manhattan's Upper West Side. After studying comparative literature at Columbia and Yale, he helped found the magazine n+1 in 2004 with Chad Harbach and Benjamin Kunkel. The recipient of the 2011 Shattuck Prize for literary criticism, he lives in Philadelphia. This is his first book.
- Author(s)Marco Roth
- PublisherUnion Books
- Date of Publication17/01/2013
- SubjectAutobiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintUnion Books
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.