All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFlush it and forget it is the plumbing mantra of the industrialized world. Most people just want sewage to go away, preferably without having to see, smell, or worse yet, touch it. But crap has a bad rap. Human waste is a valuable resource we can use to support food production. Blackwater, greywater, and solids are actually rich in organic matter, and alternative means of handling these wastes can conserve ermous quantities of fresh water for other uses. The Scoop on Poop presents a wide range of ways to answer the call of nature, and in so doing to maximize the benefits of existing waste water. This book explores proven alternatives to Western sanitation. Whether you're interested in composting toilets, outdoor grey- or blackwater planters, constructed wetlands, or other invative solutions, author Dan Chiras will walk you through: System pros and cons Design, construction, and maintenance advice Costs, permitting issues, and the safe treatment of composted waste All system plans are relatively simple and straightforward eugh for the average homeowner to build and install. Intended for readers who live in cities, towns and rural environments, this is a practical guide to safe, ingenious ways to capture the nutrients from waste and recycle them back into your soil to grow fruit trees, vegetables, and flowers-all without running afoul of the ick factor. Dan Chiras is the author of over thirty books on residential renewable energy and green building, and is the director of the Evergreen Institute's Center for Renewable Energy and Green Building.
- Author BiographyDan Chiras is a highly respected educator and the internationally acclaimed author of over 30 books on residential renewable energy, green building and sustainability, including The Homeowner's Guide to Renewable Energy and Power from the Sun. He has studied and written extensively about ecologically sound waste water systems. Dan is the president of Sustainable Systems Design and the director and lead instructor at The Evergreen Institute's Center for Renewable Energy and Green Building (www.evergreeninstitute.org), where he teaches workshops on sustainable waste management, self-sufficiency, energy efficiency, solar electric and solar thermal systems, wind energy, green building, natural plasters, and natural building.
- Author(s)Dan Chiras
- PublisherNew Society Publishers
- Date of Publication25/02/2016
- SubjectEnvironment & Ecology: General Interest
- Place of PublicationGabriola Island
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Society Publishers
- Content Note250 B&W photos, B&W illustrations
- Weight485 g
- Width184 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.