All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA graduate of Leon Underwood's Brook Green School of Art in London, Gertrude Hermes (1901-83) trained as a painter and sculptor. Hermes and her husband, Blair Hughes-Stanton, who she met at Brook Green, went on to become leading lights in the early twentieth-century's wood-engraving revival. Although their marriage was short-lived, their exuberant visual inventions for Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress and T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom brought them critical acclaim. Much has been written about Hermes' career as a wood engraver. In contrast, her contribution as a sculptor has been somewhat eclipsed - until w. The Sculpture of Gertrude Hermes presents for the first time a full analysis of the artist's entire sculptural oeuvre. Along with a comprehensive catalogue of Hermes' sculpture, Jane Hill provides a full account of the artist's life in the context of her career as a sculptor. What results is a picture of a pioneering spirit who created busts and heads, functional designs, decorative work and reliefs that are dynamic and unpredictable. Featuring over 140 images, The Sculpture of Gertrude Hermes is a groundbreaking study of an artist so long associated with one art form. This book redresses the imbalance and creates a new and fresh perspective on an important female artist of the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyJane Hill is a writer, independent art historian and curator working for magazines, galleries and museums, private collectors, films and in broadcasting.
- Author(s)Jane Hill
- PublisherLund Humphries Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication28/09/2011
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleBritish Sculptors & Sculpture S.
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLund Humphries Publishers Ltd
- Content NoteIncludes 12 colour and 131 b&w illustrations
- Width240 mm
- Height290 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Series Edited byDr. Penelope Curtis
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.