All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMost organizations - public, private and third sector - kw they need to offer better leadership. But, in trying to do so, they too often look in the wrong place. Experience tells us that even heroic leaders are better than the systems they work in. Flawed systems strangle leadership. The answer? Stop polishing the fish and tackle the water they swim in! The Search for Leadership shows why it is naive to expect much leadership from individual managers acting alone. Only when we start to see leadership as a property of the organization can we begin to improve it. William Tate pulls punches in his examination of leadership in business, politics and institutions like the police and the Health Service. Using forensic analysis, cogent argument and damning case studies, he shows why conventional leadership models and programs miss the point and waste our money. In their place he presents a proven and practical 'Systems Thinking' approach that will transform the way leadership is developed, applied and held accountable for delivering results. The Search for Leadership is a comprehensive study of the way leadership operates in organizations. Split into two parts - the thinking challenge and the more practical intervention challenge - it tackles each aspect of leadership on a theme-by-theme basis and is an invaluable resource for anyone working to improve leadership in an organization. The chapters provide an in-depth focus on current leadership issues, from discussing the difference between managing and leading, through learning the language of Systems Thinking and developing a leadership culture, to exploring a range of processes by which leadership can be held to account. This eye-opening account of the challenges organizations face is written for managers as well as developers, teachers, researchers and coaches. Its systemic focus sets it apart from other leadership books. It will change the way you think about leadership and help improve the way any organization is run.
- Author BiographyWilliam Tate is a consultant, writer, researcher, teacher and speaker in: leadership; organisation development; the shadow side; change and learning; innovation and corporate social responsibility (CSR). He runs the independent consulting practice Prometheus Consulting and is a director of Conduct Becoming, a CSR consultancy. He is former head of HR Strategy and Management Training at British Airways. William is the author of seven books and many magazine and journal articles, and has written papers for The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, the Council for Excellence in Management and Leadership, and the Centre for Tomorrow's Company. He has taught Strategic HRM and Corporate Social Responsibility on Cass Business School's Executive MBA Programme.
- Author(s)William Tate
- PublisherTriarchy Press
- Date of Publication21/05/2009
- SubjectManagement Techniques: Professional
- Place of PublicationBridport
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTriarchy Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight440 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.42
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.