All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA thorough study of quotation within ancient and modern literatures is the background for this new approach to alleged quotations within the prophetic writings. The common claim that specific verbal parallels result from the conscious repetition of the words of a predecessor is beset by difficulties. After examining quotation in n-prophetic (ancient Near Eastern, early Jewish, Old Testament wisdom and narrative, and modern Western) literatures, Schultz proposes a new model for interpreting verbal parallels that utilizes several criteria for identifying quotation and combines diachronic with synchronic analysis. He then applies this model to five representative verbal parallels involving the book of Isaiah. This book illustrates how an awareness of the versatility of quotation facilitates a more accurate interpretation of verbal parallels, and at the same time calls for greater caution in employing them in support of various theories.
- Author BiographyRichard Schultz is the Armerding Chair of Biblical Studies and Professor of Old Testament at Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois.
- Author(s)Richard L Schultz
- Date of Publication01/02/2009
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Series TitleLibrary of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number180
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight562 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.