All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom an acclaimed author and a New York Times Best Illustrated artist comes the fascinating, little-kwn and true! story of New York City s first subway. New York City in the 1860s was a mess: crowded, disgusting, filled with garbage. You see, way back in 1860, there were subways, just cobblestone streets. That is, until Alfred Ely Beach had the idea for a fan-powered train that would travel underground. On February 26, 1870, after fifty-eight days of drilling and painting and plastering, Beach unveiled his masterpiece and throngs of visitors took turns swooshing down the track. The Secret Subway will wow readers, just as Beach s underground train wowed riders over a century ago. A New York Public Library Best Book for Kids, 2016
- Author BiographyShana Corey has written several picture books, among them Here Come the Girl Scouts!, a New York Times Editors Choice, and You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer, which the New York Times called a picture book girls are likely to love. She has always been intrigued by New York City history, so when she came across a passing mention of Alfred Ely Beach s underground train, she wanted to know more. It wasn t long before she was skulking around Warren and Murray Streets, looking for the site of Devlin s department store, and seeking out Boss Tweed s grave in Greenwood Cemetery. Learn more at shanacorey.com. Red Nose Studio created the art for Here Comes the Garbage Barge! by Jonah Winter, which was selected as a New York Times Best Illustrated Book, a School Library Journal Best Book, and a Huffington Post Best Picture Book of the Year and received four starred reviews, as well as The Beginner s Guide to Running Away from Home by Jennifer LaRue Huget, praised by the Wall Street Journal for its vivid and arresting illustrations. Visit him at rednosestudio.com.
- Author(s)Shana Corey
- PublisherSchwartz & Wade Books
- Date of Publication08/03/2016
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSchwartz & Wade Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width257 mm
- Height257 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Red Nose Studio
- Format DetailsLibrary binding,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.