All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow does one go about organizing something as complicated as a strategic-missile or space-exploration program? Stephen B. Johnson here explores the answer-systems management-in a groundbreaking study that involves Air Force planners, scientists, technical specialists, and, eventually, bureaucrats. Taking a comparative approach, Johnson focuses on the theory, or intellectual history, of systems engineering as such, its origins in the Air Force's Cold War ICBM efforts, and its migration to t only NASA but the European Space Agency. Exploring the history and politics of aerospace development and weapons procurement, Johnson examines how scientists and engineers created the systems management process to coordinate large-scale techlogy development, and how managers and military officers gained control of that process. Those funding the race demanded results, Johnson explains. In response, development organizations created what few expected and what even fewer wanted-a bureaucracy for invation. To begin to understand this apparent contradiction in terms, we must first understand the exacting nature of space techlogies and the concerns of those who create them.
- Author BiographyStephen B. Johnson is an associate professor of space studies at the University of North Dakota.
- PrizesWinner of American Astronautical Society Eugene M. Emme Astronautical Literature Award 2004.
- Author(s)Stephen Barry Johnson
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication21/11/2006
- SubjectAstronomy, Space & Time
- Series TitleNew Series in NASA History
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note26, 6 black & white halftones, 20 black & white line drawings
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 17
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.