All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $72.89
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first and only comprehensive selection of lectures by Ralph Waldo Emerson, his era's most prominent American man of letters and one of the foremost architects of our intellectual culture. Based on authoritative texts selected and edited by Ronald A. Bosco and Joel Myerson - the most experienced Emerson editors working today - these twenty-five addresses collectively exemplify the lecture style for which Emerson was famed in his day. Best kwn to his contemporaries as a lecturer, Emerson delivered some 1,500 addresses over the course of his career. Because his most important ideas were worked out in his lectures, they provide the best record we have of his evolving thought - and thus are a key to our understanding of his essays and other printed works. Gathered here are lectures on American culture, literary theory and aesthetics, moral and, as Emerson called it, intellectual philosophy, and social and political reform. They are taken from speaking engagements in the United States and the British Isles over the period 1833-1871, during which Emerson often spent four to six months a year on the lecture circuit; lectures from the earliest years of Emerson's career (1833-1842) have been newly edited for this volume. The volume's introduction draws on contemporary accounts to describe Emerson's idiosyncratic but utterly memorable manner of speaking. A headte provides context to the composition and delivery of each lecture, and foottes identify Emerson's allusions to persons, places, occasions, quotations, and books. By examining his lectures and how they were delivered, say Bosco and Myerson, we can look into the laboratory of Emerson's intellectual and compositional process and see his published writings gestating.
- Author BiographyRonald A. Bosco is Distinguished University Professor of English and American Literature at the University at Albany, State University of New York. Joel Myerson is Carolina Distinguished Professor Emeritus of American Literature at the University of South Carolina.
- Author(s)Ralph Waldo Emerson
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication31/08/2005
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Weight590 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byJoel Myerson,Ronald A. Bosco
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.