All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.64Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
About this product
- DescriptionA team of leading experts investigate a range of philosophical issues to do with the self and self-kwledge. Self and Self-Kwledge focuses on two main problems: how to account for I-thoughts and the consequences that doing so would have for our tion of the self; and how to explain subjects' ability to kw the kind of psychological states they enjoy, which characteristically issues in psychological self-ascriptions. The first section of the volume consists of essays that, by appealing to different considerations which range from the rmative to the phemelogical, offer an assessment of the animalist conception of the self. The second section presents an examination as well as a defence of the new epistemic paradigm, largely associated with recent work by Christopher Peacocke, according to which kwledge of our own mental states and actions should be based on an awareness of them and of our attempts to bring them about. The last section explores a range of different perspectives-from neo-expressivism to constitutivism-in order to assess the view that self-kwledge is more robust than any other form of kwledge. While the contributors differ in their specific philosophical positions, they all share the view that careful philosophical analysis is needed before scientific research can be fruitfully brought to bear on the issues at hand. These thought-provoking essays provide such an analysis and greatly deepen our understanding of these central aspects of our mentality.
- Author BiographyAnnalisa Coliva is Associate Professor at the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia (Italy), and Associate Director of the research centre COGITO. After receiving a BA in Philosophy from the University of Bologna, she obtained a MLitt and a PhD from St Andrews, as well as a PhD from Vercelli. She has been Fulbright and Alexander von Humboldt Fellow at Columbia and Heidelberg respectively, as well as Fellow of the Italian Academy at Columbia University in the city of New York. She has authored seven books, edited four, and published several articles in international journals.
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication19/04/2012
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight616 g
- Width162 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byAnnalisa Coliva
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.