All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume contains a detailed, precise and clear semantic formalism designed to allow n-programmers such as linguists and literary specialists to represent elements of meaning which they must deal with in their research and teaching. At the same time, by its basis in a functional programming paradigm, it retains sufficient formal precision to support computational implementation. The formalism is designed to represent meaning as found at a variety of levels, including basic semantic units and relations, word meaning, sentence-level phemena, and text-level meaning. By drawing on fundamental principles of program design, the proposed formalism is both easy to read and modify yet sufficiently powerful to allow for the representation of complex semantic phemena. In this mograph, the authors introduce the formalism and show its basic structure, apply it to the analysis of the semantics of a variety of linguistic phemena in both English and French, and use it to represent the semantics of a variety of texts ranging from single sentences, to textual excepts, to a full story.
- Author BiographyMichael Levison is a Professor Emeritus in the School of Computing at Queen's University, Canada. Greg Lessard is a Professor in the Department of French Studies at Queen's University, Canada. Craig Thomas earned his PhD from the School of Computing at Queen's University, Canada, in 2010 under the supervision of Michael Levison and Greg Lessard. Matthew Donald earned his MSc from the School of Computing at Queen's University, Canada, in 2006 under the direction of Michael Levison and Greg Lessard.
- Author(s)Craig Thomas,Greg Lessard,Matthew Donald,Michael Levison
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication20/12/2012
- Series TitleBloomsbury Studies in Theoretical Linguistics
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight549 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.