All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere are w more servants in Britain than in Victorian times. This explosion in paid domestic employment is part of a global trend. Women from countries such as the Philippines take on domestic jobs in order to support families at home, whilst students from Eastern Europe, the EU and Brazil work as au pairs in order to study English and improve their employment prospects. Rosie Cox's timely new work examines the reality of paid domestic labour in Britain today and explores the global trends that sustain this growth of domestic employment. She shows how the ecomy depends on women working outside the home, how it is the employment of domestic workers that helps make this possible and examines the experiences of both employers and employees who have joined this new global labour market.
- Author BiographyRosie Cox is Lecturer in London Studies at Birkbeck College, University of London. She has a long-standing interest in domestic employment, in particular the growth of domestic employment in London and how this relates to its place as a world city.
- Author(s)Rosie Cox
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication27/01/2006
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight313 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.