The Shi'i World: Pathways in Tradition and Modernity by I.B.Tauris & Co Ltd (Hardback, 2015)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe world's 200 million Shi'i Muslims express their faith in a multiplicity of ways, united by reverence for the ahl al-bayt, the family of the Prophet. In embracing a pluralistic ethic, fourteen centuries of Shi'i Islam have given rise to diverse traditions and practices across varied geographic and cultural landscapes. The Shi'i World is a comprehensive work authored by leading scholars from assorted disciplines, to provide a better understanding of how Shi'i communities view themselves and articulate their teachings. The topics range from Shi'i Islam's historical and conceptual foundations, formative figures and intellectual, legal and moral traditions, to its devotional practices, art and architecture, literature, music and cinema, as well as expressions and experiences of modernity. The book thus provides a paramic perspective of the richly textured narratives that have shaped the social and moral universe of Shi'i Muslims around the globe.This fourth volume in the Muslim Heritage Series will appeal to specialists and general readers alike, as a timely resource on the prevailing complexities t only of the 'Muslim world', but also of the dynamic Shi'i diasporas of Europe and North America.
- Author BiographyFarhad Daftary is Co-Director of The Institute of Ismaili Studies, London (IIS), where he also heads the Department of Academic Research and Publications. He is author of the seminal Assassin Legends: Myths of the Ismailis, co-editor of Encyclopaedia Islamica as well as managing editor of the Shi'i Heritage Series and the Ismaili Texts and Translations Series.Amyn B. Sajoo is Scholar-in-Residence at Simon Fraser University's Centre for the Comparative Study of Muslim Societies and Cultures (Vancouver). He has held visiting appointments at Cambridge and McGill Universities, the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore, and The Institute of Ismaili Studies in London.Shainool Jiwa is head of the Constituency Studies Unit at The Institute of Ismaili Studies, where she specialises in Fatimid history. Dr Jiwa is on the Board of Governors of Edinburgh Napier University, and serves as a chief examiner in Islamic history for the International Baccalaureate Organization.
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/09/2015
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleMuslim Heritage Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintI.B.Tauris in association with the Institute of Ismaili Studies
- Content Note29 black and white integrated
- Weight748 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Edited byAmyn B. Sajoo,Farhad Daftary,Shainool Jiwa
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $27.94
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.