All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn extraordinary account of one woman's single-minded campaign to restore a Victorian steamship to her former glory and make her an Andean attraction Here is a vivid account of Meriel Larken's incredible quest to restore the Yavari steamship against the odds--a ship that is w celebrating its 150 year anniversary in 2012. In 1862 the English-built Yavari was taken to bits and shipped to South America. In an epic logistical feat it was carried in thousands of pieces, by mule, up the Andes to Lake Titicaca, 12,500 feet above sea level, the world's highest navigable waterway. She was reconstructed and for more than a century plied her trade up and down the lake, but by 1985 she was a sad rotting hulk--until she was found by Larken, who led the quest to project to restore and preserve the ship. The oldest single screw iron passenger ship in the world, this nautical and engineering jewel is w a major Peruvian tourist attraction.
- Author BiographyMeriel Larken is Director and Founder of the YAVARI PROJECT and is holder of the Orden al Merito for services to numerous social projects through The Anglo-Peruvian Society (of which she was Chairman). She was formerly Administrator of the Cusichaca Archaeological Project near Machu Picchu, and founding Chairman of the Anglo-Latin American Foundation. With a family background of naval and maritime exploration, she also has a wide knowledge of South America. Meriel splits her time between the UK and S America.
- Author(s)Meriel Larken
- PublisherBene Factum Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2012
- SubjectTrue Stories
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBene Factum Publishing Ltd
- Content NoteColour picture in 2 sections
- Weight567 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.47Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.