The Show Must Go on: On Tour with the LSO in 1912 and 2012 by Gareth Davies (Hardback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.18+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA memoir of the London Symphony Orchestra on tour, focusing on their historical first visit to America in 1912 and their most recent US tour earlier this year. Gareth Davies, Principal Flautist at the LSO, tells the remarkable story of a groundbreaking expedition through recently discovered diaries, archive material from London and New York and newspaper reports from the time. Against this is set a behind-the-scenes account of the LSO's contemporary US touring schedule, which finds that a surprising number of the same challenges remain. We join Gareth and his colleagues as they contend with airports, volcaes, travel strikes, illness and even life and death situations. As well as vivid descriptions of sitting centre stage surrounded by music and working with Haitink, Gergiev and Sir Colin Davies, we get to glimpse into the backstage goings on and see inside the mind of a professional musician as never before. Written by someone at the heart of the action, we follow the travels of two musicians, a century apart in the same orchestra. The show does go on.
- Author BiographyGareth Davies studied at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, where he won the Laurie Kennedy Memorial Prize, joining the London Symphony as Principal Flute in 2000. Gareth has worked with many of the great maestri of our times, including Gergiev, Colin Davies, Previn and Maazel, and has toured the world with the LSO. Gareth has written many articles for the press including the Classic FM Magazine, the Guardian and the Telegraph, and is the author of the popular LSO on Tour blog
- Author(s)Gareth Davies
- PublisherElliott & Thompson Limited
- Date of Publication30/05/2013
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintElliott & Thompson Limited
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.