All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Ottoman Army - the most powerful the world had kwn by that time - lays siege to a Christian fortress in the mountains of Albania. Above the colourful host looms the great dark wall of the citadel that has to be overcome. Told partly through the personal narrative of one of the defenders, partly through the eyes of the Ottoman chronicler Mevla Celebi, Ismail Kadare's The Siege is a gripping narrative of a bloody, complex struggle that ends in defeat and desolation for both sides. Its story of blood, gore and boiling pitch provides Ismail Kadare with ather vehicle for his long meditation on human relations, human folly, the ambiguities of power and the meaning of history. The thoughts and sufferings of his fifteenth-century warriors are barely distinguishable from those that afflict us in the modern world.
- Author BiographyIsmail Kadare is Albania's best-known novelist and poet. Translations of his novels have appeared in more than forty countries. He was awarded the inaugural Man Booker International Prize in 2005, and the Jerusalem Prize in 2015.
- PrizesShortlisted for Independent Foreign Fiction Prize 2009.
- Author(s)Ismail Kadare
- PublisherText Publishing Co
- Date of Publication04/08/2008
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationMelbourne
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintThe Text Publishing Company
- Weight446 g
- Width154 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Translated byDavid Bellos
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $52.84
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.69
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.66
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.43
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.27
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.