All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGripping and ingeniously plotted, this Sherlock Holmes vel is also an important document of late-Victorian imperialism. Arthur Conan Doyle's second Sherlock Holmes vel is both a detective story and an imperial romance. Ostensibly the story of Mary Morstan, a beautiful young woman enlisting the help of Holmes to find her vanished father and solve the mystery of her receipt of a perfect pearl on the same date each year, it gradually uncovers a tale of treachery and human greed. The action audaciously ranges from penal settlements on the Andaman Islands to the suburban comfort of South London, and from the opium-fuelled violence of Agra Fort during the Indian 'Mutiny' to the cocaine-induced contemplation of Holmes' own Baker Street. This edition places Doyle's tale in the cultural, political, and social contexts of late nineteenth-century colonialism and imperialism. The appendices provide a wealth of relevant extracts from hard-to-find sources, ranging from official reports to memoirs, and newspaper editorials to anthropological studies.
- Author BiographyArthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930) was a British writer of detective and science fiction. Shafquat Towheed is a Lecturer in English at the Open University, UK.
- Author(s)Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/08/2010
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitleBroadview Editions
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Weight310 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byShafquat Towheed
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.16Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $13.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.