All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith The Silence and the Roar, Nihad Sirees writes a powerful, life-affirming and Kafkaesque vel about a censored writer trying to live a rmal life under a Middle Eastern dictatorship, Syria. Fathi, a writer longer permitted to write, makes his way through a city churned by parades for an unnamed dictator. It is a day stifled by heat and the ise of the chants, a day of people trampled, and of the brutality and bullying of the party faithful. But Fathi presses treacherously against the crowd, attempting just to visit his mother and his girlfriend. The Silence and the Roar is a personal, urgent, funny and aggrieved vel. It asks what it means to have a conscience, or to laugh, or to endure in a time of the violence, strangeness and roar of tyranny. It is both a true literary achievement and an act of real courage by a brilliant Syrian writer. Nihad Sirees' The Silence and the Roar is translated from the Arabic by Max Weiss and published by Pushkin Press Nihad Sirees was born in Aleppo, Syria in 1950. After training and working as an engineer, he became an acclaimed velist, playwright and screenwriter. After finding himself under increasing surveillance and pressure from the Syrian government, in 2012 he left for Egypt and w lives and works in exile.
- Author BiographyNihad Sirees was born in Aleppo, Syria in 1950. After training and working as an engineer, he became an acclaimed novelist, playwright and screenwriter. After finding himself under increasing surveillance and pressure from the Syrian government, in 2012 he left for Egypt and now lives and works in exile. The Silence and the Roar was first published in Arabic, in Beirut, in 2004. It has been translated into German and French. This is its first publication in English.
- Author(s)Nihad Sirees
- PublisherPushkin Press
- Date of Publication10/01/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPushkin Press
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byMax Weiss
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $31.07New
- AU $21.61New
- AU $43.96New
- AU $25.09New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.48Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $79.46
- AU $72.93Trending at AU $75.10
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $83.32
- AU $59.72Trending at AU $61.98
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $20.89
- AU $22.29Trending at AU $22.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.