All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThose who live in silence hear them best . . . Dominic Lancaster hoped to prove himself to his family by excelling in the Navy during World War II. Instead he is wounded while serving as a gunner, and loses his leg. Still recovering from his wounds and the trauma of his amputation when the Blitz begins, Dominic finds himself shuffled off to the countryside by his family, along with his partially deaf sister, Octavia. The crumbling family estate on the shores of Ullswater is an old, much-neglected place that doesn t seem to promise much in the way of happiness or recovery. Something more than a friendship begins to flourish between Dominic and his nurse Rose in the late autumn of that English countryside, as he struggles to come to terms with his new life as an amputee. Ather thing that seems to be flourishing is Octavia s hearing. As winter descends, sinister forces seem to be materializing around Octavia, who is hearing voices of children. After seeing things that one else can see and hearing things that one else can hear, Octavia is afflicted with a sickness that cant be explained. With Octavia s help, Dominic sets out to find the truth behind the voices that have haunted his sister. In doing so, he uncovers an even older, darker evil that threatens t only Octavia, but Rose and himself. Jonathan Aycliffe delivers a disturbingly tense ghost story set in the middle of World War II during England s darkest hour, demonstrating that some fears are timeless . . . Skyhorse Publishing, under our Night Shade and Talos imprints, is proud to publish a broad range of titles for readers interested in science fiction (space opera, time travel, hard SF, alien invasion, near-future dystopia), fantasy (grimdark, sword and sorcery, contemporary urban fantasy, steampunk, alternative history), and horror (zombies, vampires, and the occult and supernatural), and much more. While t every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller, a national bestseller, or a Hugo or Nebula award-winner, we are committed to publishing quality books from a diverse group of authors.
- Author BiographyJonathan Aycliffe was born in Belfast in 1949. The author of many critically acclaimed ghost stories including Naomi s Room, The Lost, and A Shadow on the Wall, he lives in the north of England.
- Author(s)Jonathan Aycliffe
- PublisherNight Shade Books
- Date of Publication10/02/2015
- SubjectHorror & Ghost Stories
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNight Shade Books
- Weight318 g
- Width145 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $31.92
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $19.01
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $59.41
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.