All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSimon Singh, author of the bestsellers Fermat's Enigma, The Code Book, and Big Bang, offers fascinating new insights into the celebrated television series The Simpsons That the show drip-feeds morsels of number theory into the minds of its viewers indeed, that there are so many mathematical references in the show, and in its sister program, Futurama, that they could form the basis of an entire university course.Recounting memorable episodes from Bart the Genius to Homer3, Singh brings alive intriguing and meaningful mathematical concepts ranging from the mathematics of pi and the paradox of infinity to the origin of numbers and the most profound outstanding problems that haunt today's generation of mathematicians. In the process, he illuminates key moments in the history of mathematics, and introduces us to The Simpsons ' brilliant writing team the likes of David X. Cohen, Al Jean, Jeff Westbrook, and Stewart Burns all of whom have various advanced degrees in mathematics, physics, and other sciences.Based on interviews with the writers of The Simpsons and replete with images from the shows, facsimiles of scripts, paintings and drawings, and other imagery, The Simpsons and Their Mathematical Secrets will give anyone who reads it an entirely new insight into the most successful show in television history.
- Author BiographySimon Singh received his Ph.D. in particle physics from the University of Cambridge. A former BBC producer, he directed the BAFTA Award winning documentary film Fermat's Last Theorem and wrote Fermat's Enigma, the bestselling book on the same subject. His bestseller The Code Book was the basis for the BBC series The Science of Secrecy. His third book, Big Bang, was also a bestseller, and Trick or Treatment: The Undeniable Facts About Alternative Medicine, written with Edzard Ernst, gained widespread attention. Singh lives in London.
- Author(s)Simon Singh
- PublisherBloomsbury USA
- Date of Publication14/10/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury USA
- Weight249 g
- Width140 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.