All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany evangelicals paint fundamentalism with the same broad, negative brush. But we owe more to our pietist-revivalist roots than we realize. Richard Mouw's awareness of fundamentalism's problems hasn't robbed his appreciation for its strengths. The Smell of Sawdust sheds thoughtful and revealing light on the colorful parentage of contemporary evangelicalism. If you detect fondness, even a hint of stalgia, you're right. From its history, to its ethos, to its mores and methods, Mouw takes you on a fascinating journey through the pros and cons of the sawdust trail. Whatever your outlook on the revivalist tradition, whether favorable or t so favorable, these candid, thought-provoking insights will inspire your respect for fundamentalism's strong points, help you learn from its weaknesses, and above all, enrich your life as a Christian. Like the author, you'll find yourself singing the old gospel hymns with new understanding and depth. Filled with anecdotes from the amusing to the poignant, this book takes you back to the sawdust-covered earth of the early tent meetings ...earlier, to the spiritual hunger that sparked the pietist movement ...and later, into today, where we strive to effectively communicate the nnegotiables of our faith to a needy world. The Smell of Sawdust is gentle and deeply personal. It is also wise--neither judgmental r naive, but healing, furnishing redemptive insights into the character of our fundamentalist heritage. This book will broaden the perspective of thinking Christians who want to engage both their hearts and their intellects to reach the soul of our culture with the gospel.
- Author BiographyRichard J. Mouw (PhD, University of Chicago) is president and professor of Christian philosophy at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California. He is a Beliefnet.com columnist and the author of numerous books.
- Author(s)Richard J. Mouw
- Date of Publication06/10/2000
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationGrand Rapids
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight291 g
- Width145 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18 To 99
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.