The Social Dynamics of Family Violence by Earl Smith, Angela Hattery (Paperback, 2016)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $65.98Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $68.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis compelling text explores family violence throughout the life course, from child abuse and neglect to intimate partner violence and elder abuse. Paying special attention to the social character and institutional causes of family violence, Hattery and Smith ask students to consider how social inequality, especially gender inequality, contributes to tensions and explosive tendencies in family settings. Students learn about individual preventative measures and are also invited to question the justice of our current social structure, with implications for social policy and reorganization. The second edition features a new chapter focusing on institutionalized violence affecting families of the military and police, as well as a discussion on sports and sexual abuse cases occurring on college campuses. Hattery and Smith also examine violence against women globally and relate this to violence in the United States. Unique coverage of same-sex and multicultural couples, as well as of theory and methods, make this text an essential element of any course considering the sociology of family violence.
- Author BiographyAngela Hattery is professor and director of Women and Gender Studies at George Mason University. She is the author of numerous books including Gender, Power and Violence (2016), African American Families: Myths and Realities (2014), Prisoner Re-entry and Social Capital: the long road to reintegration (2010), African American Families (2007); Globalization & America: race, human rights and inequality (2008); Intimate Partner Violence (2008); and Women, Work, and Family (2001). Earl Smith is Emeritus Rubin Distinguished Professor & Director of American Ethnic Studies and professor of Sociology at Wake Forest University. He is the author of numerous books including Race, Sport and the American Dream (2014) and African American Families: Myths and Realities (2014).
- Author(s)Angela Hattery,Earl Smith
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication11/08/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBoulder, CO
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWestview Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight885 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.