All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAny experimental field consists of preparing special conditions for examining interesting objects for research. So naturally, the particular ways in which scientists prepare their objects determine the kind and the content of kwledge produced. This book provides a framework for the analysis of experimental practices - the Social Epistemology of Experiment - that incorporates both the 'material' and the 'social' dimensions of kwledge production. The Social Epistemology of Experiment is applied to experimental ecomics and in so doing, it introduces the epistemic role of the participation of human subjects in experiments and the causal efficacy of institutions in constraining and enabling human behaviour. It also develops the role of the social and socially established practices in overcoming the methodological difficulties associated with experimenting with humans subjects in the social sciences as well as the effect of scientists' interventions in the laboratory worlds. This book provides an historical and contextualized account of the emergence of experimental ecomics, the methodological discussions that have informed and constituted it, its main research programmes, and stylized facts. The analysis of its three main research programmes - market experiments, game theory experiments and individual decision-making experiments - shows how ecomics experiments are particularly tailored to produce kwledge about market institutions and individual behaviour in contexts where there might be conflicts of individual and social goals, and also about the processes of individual decision-making.
- Author BiographyAna Cordeiro dos Santos is Researcher at the Centre for Social Studies (CES), University of Coimbra, Portugal.
- Author(s)Ana Cordeiro Dos Santos
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication07/07/2009
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Advances in Experimental and Computable Economics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note11 black & white illustrations, 1 black & white tables, 11 black & white line drawings
- Weight476 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.