All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe American family has come a long way from the days of the idealized family portrayed in iconic television shows of the 1950s and 1960s. The four volumes of The Social History of the American Family explore the vital role of the family as the fundamental social unit across the span of American history. Experiences of family life shape so much of an individual's development and identity, yet the patterns of family structure, family life, and family transition vary across time, space, and socioecomic contexts. Both the definition of who or what counts as family and representations of the ideal family have changed over time to reflect changing mores, changing living standards and lifestyles, and increased levels of social heterogeneity. Available in both digital and print formats, this carefully balanced academic work chronicles the social, cultural, ecomic, and political aspects of American families from the colonial period to the present. Key themes include families and culture (including mass media), families and religion, families and the ecomy, families and social issues, families and social stratification and conflict, family structures (including marriage and divorce, gender roles, parenting and children, and mixed and n-modal family forms), and family law and policy. Features: * Approximately 600 articles, richly illustrated with historical photographs and color photos in the digital edition, provide historical context for students. * A collection of primary source documents demonstrate themes across time. * The signed articles, with cross references and Further Readings, are accompanied by a Reader's Guide, Chrology of American Families, Resource Guide, Glossary, and thorough index.
- Author BiographyMarilyn Coleman (Ed.D., Special Education, University of Missouri, Columbia, 1975) is Professor in the Department of Human Development and Family Studies at the University of Missouri, Columbia. She has edited the Journal of Marriage and the Family (1992-1995) and has served as Associate Editor of the Home Economics Research Journal (1987-199). Along with Lawrence H. Ganong, Dr. Coleman has overseen special issues of the Journal of Marriage and the Family, Family Relations, and the Journal of Family Issues. They have also co-edited books and have written chapters for several edited books. Most of the 3 books and 130+ articles and book chapters they've co-authored have to do with some aspect of family diversity. They have conducted research on stepfamilies for 25 years. Recent work has focused on family responsibilities following divorce and remarriage and the development of stepparent-stepchild relationships. Lawrence H. Ganong (Ph.D., Family Studies, University of Missouri, Columbia, 1977) is Professor in both the Sinclair School of Nursing and the Department of Human Development and Family Studies at the University of Missouri, Columbia. He has served as Associate Editor of the Journal of Social and Personal Relationships (2000-2003) and, along with Marilyn Coleman, has overseen special issues of the Journal of Marriage and the Family, Family Relations, and the Journal of Family Issues. They have also co-edited books and have written chapters for several edited books. Most of the 3 books and 130+ articles and book chapters they've co-authored have to do with some aspect of family diversity, and they have conducted research on stepfamilies for 25 years.
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication23/10/2014
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight7053 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine178 mm
- Edited byDr. Marilyn Coleman,Lawrence Ganong
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.