All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat happens when people achieve ? Why do reactions to achievement vary so profoundly? And how might an anthropological study of achievement and its consequences allow us to develop a more nuanced model of the motivated agency that operates in the social world? These questions lie at the heart of this volume. Drawing on research from Southeast Asia, Europe, the United States, and Latin America, this collection develops an invative framework for explaining achievement's multiple effects-one which brings together cutting-edge theoretical insights into politics, psychology, ethics, materiality, aurality, embodiment, affect and narrative. In doing so, the volume advances a new agenda for the study of achievement within anthropology, emphasizing the significance of achievement as a moment of cultural invention, and the complexity of the achiever as a subject position.
- Author BiographyNicholas J. Long is an Assistant Professor in Anthropology at the London School of Economics and Political Science. He is the co-editor of Southeast Asian Perspectives on Power (Routledge, 2012) and Sociality: New Directions (Berghahn Books, 2013), and author of the monograph Being Malay in Indonesia: Histories, Hopes and Citizenship in the Riau Archipelago (NUS/NIAS/University of Hawai'i Press, forthcoming). Henrietta L. Moore is the William Wyse Chair of Social Anthropology at the University of Cambridge. She is the co-editor of Understanding Global Sexualities (Routledge, 2012) and Sociality: New Directions (Berghahn Books, 2013). Her most recent monograph is Still Life: Hopes, Desires and Satisfactions (Polity Press, 2011).
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication31/03/2016
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleWyse Series in Social Anthropology
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note7 illustrations and tables
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byHenrietta Moore,Nicholas J. Long
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.