All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe seventh volume in the Gila River Indian Community Anthropological Research Papers series by M. Kyle Woodson examines the social organization of Hohokam canal irrigation management along the middle Gila River in south-central Arizona. Anthropologists have long recognized that the users of a canal irrigation system have to coordinate and cooperate with each other in the construction, maintenance, and operation of the canal system; the allocation of water; and the resolution of conflicts that arise. An irrigation organization is a social institution that manages and assigns the roles to accomplish these tasks. Yet the social organization of irrigation management cant be fully understood without examining the link between irrigation organizations and political institutions. Woodson's study achieves this goal by analyzing canal systems and settlement patterns at the village of Snaketown, as well as the neighboring Granite Kb, Santan, and Gila Butte canal systems and settlements during the Pioneer to Classic periods (AD 450 to 1450). With this study, Woodson returns focus to Snaketown, where Emil Haury originally defined the Hohokam cultural tradition and which has revealed yet more insights into the prehispanic world of the ancient Southwest.
- Author BiographyM. Kyle Woodson is the director of the Gila River Indian Community's Cultural Resource Management Program, located in Sacaton, Arizona, USA. He received his PhD in anthropology at Arizona State University in 2010. His research focuses on the archaeology and history of southern Arizona, with special emphasis on Hohokam canal irrigation agriculture, community organization, and ceramic production and technology.
- Author(s)M. Kyle Woodson
- PublisherGila River Indian Community
- Date of Publication30/01/1987
- Series TitleGila River Indian Community, Anthropological Research Paper
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGila River Indian Community
- Weight771 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.