All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHistorically, children were often understood in relation to their development towards adulthood, but the 'new paradigm' of childhood studies has since shown how they should be taken more seriously as active participants in their own lives. Studying childhood is t just a question of research on children, but increasingly a practice of research with them. With this 'new paradigm' having w come of age, Sally McNamee offers a comprehensive overview of the current state of childhood studies and its history. Taking a thematic approach, she looks at how issues such as rights and citizenship, the state, the family, school, work, leisure, health and globalisation shape and are shaped by children. The Social Study of Childhood is an accessible introduction for students from a variety of disciplinary backgrounds such as childhood studies, sociology, psychology, social work and education. With reflection points for discussion and suggestions for further reading at the end of each chapter, it is an engaging and stimulating account of how and why children's voices deserve to be heard in today's world.
- Author BiographySally McNamee is Associate Professor at King's University College at Western University, Canada. She has carried out research and teaching in the field of childhood studies since 1993 and has worked on numerous research projects in the UK before moving to Canada, where she continues to teach and research issues around childhood. She is co-editor of The Politics of Childhood: International Perspectives, Contemporary Developments (2005, with Jim Goddard, Adrian James and Allison James).
- Author(s)Sally McNamee
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication05/08/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2016
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note3 black & white tables
- Weight347 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.