All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA collection of 70 recipes celebrating the history and stories of the classic American soda fountain from one of the most-celebrated revival soda fountains in the country, Brooklyn Farmacy. A century ago, soda fountains on almost every Main Street in America served as the heart of the community, where folks shared sundaes, sodas, ice cream floats, and the news of the day. A quintessentially American institution, the soda fountain still speaks of a bygone era of incence and ease. When Brooklyn Farmacy & Soda Fountain opened its doors in 2010, it launched a revival of this great American original, capturing the hearts of a new generation. Featuring abundant full-color photography and vintage illustrations and advertisements, The Soda Fountain explores a rich history--from the origins of seltzer in the nineteenth century, through the transformation of soda during Prohibition and the Depression years, right up to today's fountain renaissance. Featured recipes range from classics like the Purple Cow and Cherry Lime Rickey to contemporary invations that have made Brooklyn Farmacy famous, like The Sundae of Broken Dreams (topped with caramel sauce and broken pretzel bits) and Makin' Whoopie! Sundae (with hot fudge and mini chocolate whoopie cakes). Recreating beloved treats like egg creams and milkshakes with local, seasonal, and artisanal ingredients, Gia Giasullo and Peter Freeman, the sibling cofounders of Brooklyn Farmacy & Soda Fountain, teach you how to resurrect the proud American soda fountain tradition at your own kitchen counter. With its fascinating anecdotes, mouth-watering pictures and easy-to-follow steps, this stalgic cookbook proves that the soda fountain is a culinary and cultural institution that continues to delight.
- Author BiographyPETER FREEMAN (aka Head Jerk) is the cofounder of Brooklyn Farmacy & Soda Fountain. His degree in sociology and his love of egg creams led him to the perfect career: as a soda jerk in his own soda fountain. He lives happily above Brooklyn Farmacy & Soda Fountain with his cat, Mr. Pickles. GIA GIASULLO (aka Big Sister)is the cofounder and creative director of Brooklyn Farmacy & Soda Fountain. She is the daughter of a Greenwich Village shopkeeper, and it is no surprise to her that after spending twenty-plus years practicing graphic design she is now runs a corner store in Brooklyn. She and her family live happily above Brooklyn Farmacy & Soda Fountain.
- Author(s)Gia Giasullo
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication16/05/2014
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Place of PublicationBerkeley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTen Speed Press
- Content Note70 colour photos
- Weight826 g
- Width189 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.