All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.64Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
About this product
- DescriptionA deluxe, slipcased edition of the new JPS The Song of Songs by Debra Band, with a facsimile art print from the book signed by the author. The Song of Songs has provided generations with some of the most passionate and most lasting love poetry ever recorded. And because of that passion, it has also been a source of lasting controversy and debate. What exactly is the true meaning of these 117 verses-a celebration of romantic love, or an allegory of divine love and redemption? This edition is a breathtakingly beautiful illuminated work in which these two lines of interpretation are harmonized within a stunning visual context. Debra Band's fine calligraphy and striking artwork are like The Song of Songs itself, both literal and allegorical, sensuous and spiritual. The art is accompanied by the artist's interpretation of the images, and it includes the Bible text in its original Hebrew, next to both the JPS English translation and the new David Band translation. The preface, by Raymond Scheindlin, eminent scholar of medieval Hebrew literature at The Jewish Theological Seminary, provides the framework for truly understanding Band's artistic achievement and scholarly contribution. This work, hailed as a masterpiece by art-lovers and scholars across the world, is an art-book collector's delight, a Bible devotee's treasure, and a magnificent gift for weddings, anniversaries, and other special occasions.
- Author BiographyDebra Band holds an M.A. in political science from MIT, and a B.A. honors degree in history (with a minor in studio art) from Concordia University in Montreal. She studied Hebrew calligraphy with Gwenyth Welch Sinizer and art with David Moss.
- Author(s)Debra Band
- PublisherJewish Publication Society
- Date of Publication01/06/2005
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJewish Publication Society
- Weight1678 g
- Width5817 mm
- Height7747 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Translated byJPS,David Band
- Contained items statementContains Hardback and Other printed item
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
- Edition StatementDe Luxe edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.