The Soul of Discipline: The Simplicity Parenting Approach to Warm, Firm, and Calm Guidance - from Toddlers to Teens by Kim John Payne (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $29.95Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $44.48+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this groundbreaking book, parenting expert and acclaimed author of the bestselling book Simplicity Parenting Kim John Payne, M.Ed., flips the script on children s challenging or defiant behavior and lays out an elegantly simple plan to support parents in establishing loving, age-sensitive boundaries that help children feel safe and settled. In short: What looks like misbehavior is actually your children s signal that they re feeling lost, that they are trying to find direction and looking to you to guide them back on course. Payne gives parents heartwarming help and encouragement by combining astute observations with sensitive and often funny stories from his long career as a parent educator and a school and family counselor. In accessible language, he explains the relevance of current brain- and child-development studies to day-to-day parenting. Breaking the continuum of childhood into three stages, Payne says that parents need to play three different roles, each corresponding to one of those stages, to help steer children through their emotional growth and inevitable challenging times: The Goverr, who is comfortably and firmly in charge setting limits and making decisions for the early years up to around the age of eight The Gardener, who watches for emotional growth and makes decisions based on careful listening, assisting tweens in making plans that take the whole family s needs into account The Guide, who is both a sounding board and moral compass for emerging adults, helping teens build a sense of their life s direction as a way to influence healthy decision making Practical and rooted in common sense, The Soul of Discipline gives parents permission to be warm and nurturing but also calm and firm (t overreactive). It gives clear, doable strategies to get things back on track for parents who sense that their children s behavior has fallen into a troubling pattern. And best of all, it provides healthy direction to the entire family so parents can spend less time and energy on outmoded, punitive discipline and more on connecting with and enjoying their kids. Advance praise for The Soul of Discipline The Soul of Discipline offers practical tools for helping parents implement discipline that s respectful and effective, but the book is so much more. Kim John Payne offers a framework to guide parents in making decisions about why, when, and how to hold tighter reins as we build skills in our children, and why, when, and how to loosen the reins as we scaffold freedom. Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D., co-author of No-Drama Discipline This book gets deep inside the challenge of getting along with children and teens and thinks deeply about what they need from us to become strong and self-managing. It elevates discipline to what it should be a caring process of helping kids orient to the world and live in it happily and well. Steve Biddulph, author of The New Manhood Kim Payne provides a useful model for choosing our parenting stance Goverr, Gardener, or Guide depending on the situation. Most powerfully, Payne begins with the radical view that children are t disobedient but rather disoriented. The upshot of this shift in perspective is that discipline is about helping children orient themselves effectively, t about controlling or chastising. Lawrence J. Cohen, Ph.D., author of Playful Parenting
- Author BiographyA consultant and trainer to 250 U.S. independent and public schools and school districts, Kim John Payne, M.Ed., has been a school and family counselor for more than thirty years. He has also consulted for clinics, training centers, and educational associations in South Africa, Hungary, Israel, Russia, Ireland, Switzerland, Germany, Australia, the United Kingdom, and Canada. He has served as the project director of the Collaborative Counseling Program at Antioch University and the co-director of an extensive research program on a drug-free approach to attention-priority issues. He is the director of the Simplicity Parenting Project and the Center for Social Sustainability and has worked extensively with the American and U.K. Waldorf movements. The author of Games Children Play, Simplicity Parenting, and Beyond Winning, he lives with his wife and two children in Northampton, Massachusetts.
- Author(s)Kim John Payne
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication11/06/2015
- SubjectPregnancy & Parenting
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBallantine Books Inc.
- Content Noteline art
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.