All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book presents a provocative new interpretation of Beyond Good and Evil, arguably Nietzsche's most important work. The problem is that it appears to express merely a loosely connected set of often questionable opinions. Can Nietzsche really be an important philosopher if this is his most important book? Maudemarie Clark and David Dudrick address this question with a close reading that emphasizes how Nietzsche writes. They argue that the first part of Beyond Good and Evil presents coherent and interconnected arguments for subtle and well-thought-out positions on traditional issues. Nietzsche's infamous doctrine of the will to power turns out to be a compelling account of the structure and origin of the human soul. And although he rejects some aspects of traditional philosophy, Nietzsche's aim is to show how philosophy's traditional aspirations to seek both the true and the good can be fulfilled. Beyond Good and Evil turns out to be a major work of philosophy and Nietzsche's masterpiece.
- Author BiographyMaudemarie Clark is Professor of Philosophy at University of California, Riverside and George Carleton, Jr Professor of Philosophy at Colgate University. She is the author of Nietzsche on Truth and Philosophy (Cambridge University Press, 1990), translator and editor (with Alan Swensen) of On the Genealogy of Morality (1998) and editor (with Brian Leiter) of Daybreak (Cambridge University Press, 1982). David Dudrick is Associate Professor of Philosophy at Colgate University. His work has appeared in the European Journal of Philosophy, American Philosophical Quarterly and International Studies in Philosophy.
- Author(s)David Dudrick,Maudemarie Clark
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication09/07/2012
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight530 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.