All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRicardo Lagos has been shaping the future of Chile for over five decades. A leader in the underground resistance movement against Augusto Pichet and his Dirty War, Lagos exploded onto the national stage in 1988 when he gave a speech deuncing the dictator, the first of its kind. Revolution soon followed as Chileans took to the streets in one of the first oustings of a criminal dictator in history. In The Southern Tiger, Lagos shares the story of Chile's journey from terror and repression to a thriving open society during his presidency. Chile has emerged from crushing poverty to become one of the wealthiest nations in Latin America and adopted a centrist government that avoids the hard-line traps on both left and right. Just in time for the current wave of populist uprisings, Chile offers a sustainable political and ecomic model for new democracies to follow. This is a fascinating look at Chile's rise under a charismatic and visionary leader and its role in today's global community.
- Author BiographyRicardo Lagos was president of Chile from 2000 to 2006, and the former UN special envoy for climate change. He has been profiled in media worldwide, including the BBC and The New York Times, and he has spoken at Harvard University, Vanderbilt University, the London School of Economics, the International Monetary Fund, and Citibank. He is also cochair of the Inter-American Dialogue in Washington and an editorial board memberof Americas Quarterly. Currently a professor at large at Brown University, he lives in Santiago, Chile.Blake Hounshell and Elizabeth Dickinson are the managing editors of Foreign Policy magazine. They live in New York City.
- Author(s)Blake Hounshell,Elizabeth Dickinson,Ricardo Lagos
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication16/02/2012
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2012
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight440 g
- Width159 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Foreword byBill Clinton
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.