The Spirit of Modern India: Writings in Philosophy, Religion, and Culture by SteinerBooks, Inc (Paperback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $40.71Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $58.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis introduction to modern Indian thought establishes the historical context in which Indian thinkers of the past century developed their ideas, showing how those ideas comprise a coherent vision that is both Indian and contemporary. The Spirit of Modern India offers a full treatment of these ideas in an intelligible and concise approach and format. Despite a growing interest in Indian thought and life, the best writings of major twentieth-century thinkers have t been well presented within their cultural framework. This is the first single volume to offer such a wide representation of India's experience and scholarship through traditional and contemporary strains as articulated by her greatest modern thinkers. The period designated 'modern' refers to the remarkable century between the mid-1800s and the mid-1900s. The Spirit of Modern India includes writings by Sri Ramakrishna, Vivekananda, Tagore, Ghandi, Nehru, Radhakrisnan and Sri Aurobindo. These writings are arranged according to each era of Indian thought and culture -- philosophy, religion, ethics, education, aesthetics and national vision. Each is introduced to illuminate the material and put the selections into their historical and cultural context. A chrology lists important dates and works of major authors and dates related to Indian and Western intellectual history. A glossary of important names and terms makes the more technical selections readily accessible. The bibliography will guide the reader to further reading. The Spirit of Modern India is essential reading for those who wish to better understand India and its modern roots.
- Author BiographyRobert McDermott, PhD, is President Emeritus and Chair of the Philosophy, Cosmology, and Consciousness Program at the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco. Vishwanath S. Naravane, PhD, was born in Allahabad and taught at Allahabad University for twenty years. In 1965, he was appointed Professor and Chair of the Department of Philosophy, Pune University. He has lectured in various countries and worked as a visiting professor at several colleges and universities in the US. In addition to philosophy and religion, Dr Naravane taught courses in Indian history, art and literature.
- PublisherSteinerBooks, Inc
- Date of Publication19/11/2010
- Place of PublicationGreat Barringron
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLindisfarne Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width133 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byRobert McDermott,Vishwanath S. Naravane
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.