All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.94
About this product
- DescriptionSalvation and spiritual perfection should t be sought haphazardly; a strategy is needed to win the battle for our souls. The Spiritual Combat, first published in 1589, provides timeless guidance in spiritual discipline. St. Francis de Sales (1576-1622) read from it himself every day and recommended it to everyone under his direction. Vigorous, realistic and full of keen insight into human nature, The Spiritual Combat consists of short chapters based on the maxim that in the spiritual life one must either fight or die. Fr. Scupoli shows the Christian how to combat his passions and vices, especially impurity and sloth, in order to arrive at victory. This is the original TAN edition w with updated typesetting, fresh new cover, new size and quality binding, and the same trusted content.
- Author BiographyDom Lorenzo Scupoli was born in Otranto, Italy in 1530 and died in Naples in 1610. Nothing is known about his early life. At about the age of 40, he entered the Theatines and made his novitiate under St. Andrew Avellino. He was ordained in 1577. It is said that he met St. Francis de Sales in Padua between 1589 and 1591 and gave him a copy of The Spiritual Combat. For some reason that has never been revealed, he was laicized in 1585 and lived in retirement in Theatine houses until his death. Some sources say that his name was cleared at the end of his life, though he offered no defense of himself. The first edition of The Spiritual Combat bearing Scupoli's name was published in the year of his death 1610.
- Author(s)Dom Lorenzo Scupoli
- PublisherTan Books
- Date of Publication01/04/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Series TitleTan Classics
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTan Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight347 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated byWilliam Lester,Robert Mohan
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.