All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA NEW YORK TIMES BOOK OF THE YEAR An American myth and a contemporary portrait of the scars of the past that run through a family, and of our desperate need to escape our history, to subsume it with pleasure - or to rise above it with glory. 'You and I are family. Blood and treasure. Listen to me, I created this world with my own two hands, and I am going to leave it all to you.' Hellsmouth, an indomitable thoroughbred filly, runs for the glory of the Forge family, one of Kentucky's oldest and most powerful dynasties. Henry Forge has partnered with his daughter, Henrietta, in an endeavour of raw obsession: to breed the next superhorse. But when Allmon Shaughnessy, an ambitious young black man, comes to work on their farm after a stint in prison, the violence of the Forges' history and the exigencies of appetite are brought starkly into view. Entangled by fear, prejudice, and lust, the three tether their personal dreams of glory to the speed and grace of Hellsmouth. A spiralling tale of wealth and poverty, racism and rage, The Sport of Kings is an unflinching portrait of lives cast in shadow by the enduring legacy of slavery. A vital new voice, C. E. Morgan has given life to a tale as mythic and fraught as the South itself - a moral epic for our time.
- Author BiographyC. E. Morgan lives with her husband Will Guild in Berea, Kentucky. She is the author of All the Living.
- Author(s)C. E. Morgan
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication05/05/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFourth Estate Ltd
- Weight860 g
- Width159 mm
- Height240 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.27
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $21.69Trending at AU $24.60
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $20.46
- AU $22.61Trending at AU $22.96
- AU $16.48Trending at AU $17.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.