All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEvery spring has its own song - from potent legendary wells to inspiring new sources. Listening to the voice of each one, world rewned poet Valerie Gillies composed a new poem to fit. The Spring Teller records the author's remarkable journey across Scotland, which took over three years and included visits to over a hundred springs. Each thought-provoking poem mirrors the flow of the water, from still wells locked in the inner city to the free-flowing springs of mountain or glen. In ten sections Gillies' poetry captures the mineral properties of these springs and explores them as sites of healing and cleansing, as places of pilgrimage and modern meetings, of connection between human and nature and, through her own form of poetic environmental activism, expresses how we should preserve these natural wonders. The Spring Teller contains an intriguing introduction, landmark poems and a new map to help the reader visit these memorable places, while the photographs show the beauty of each spring. This book is a unique guide to the locations of springs in Scotland, their history and folklore and an exploration of their mysterious properties.
- Author BiographyValerie Gilllies is an internationally known and highly regarded poet. She became The Edinburgh Makar, poet laureate to the city, in 2005. Her poetry collections include Tweed Journey (1989) which has been described as 'a key text in contemporary writing' (S.B.Kelly). Other award-winning volumes include Each Bright Eye (1977), The Ringing Rock (1995), and The Lightning Tree (2002). Valerie is an inspirational teacher of creative writing in schools and universities. As a literary arts practitioner she has worked in psychiatric and general hospitals with Artlink, and in community arts with Lapidus. She is co-editor of the Scottish Poetry Library's first-ever interactive poetry map of Scotland, which maps locations and living poets. She received a Creative Scotland Award to write The Spring Teller, a book of landmark poems inspired by Scotland's springs and wells. Valerie lives in Edinburgh with her husband, the Celtic scholar William Gillies. They have three grown-up children.
- Author(s)Valerie Gillies
- PublisherLuath Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2008
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLuath Press Ltd
- Content NoteFull colour photographs throughout
- Width134 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.