All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor over a decade Will Hutton has been one of Britaina s leading progressive voices. He has been at the centre of every significant ecomic and political debate that has reshaped and reimagined the British centre--left: the mounting calls for a democratic constitutional settlement, the criticisms of the short--termism of the domestic and international financial systems, the idea of a stakeholding society. In The State Wea re In he combined all three in a passionate and powerful diagsis of Britaina s problems and the possibility of a just and democratic renewal. This collection brings together the full range of Huttona s work as a journalist, pamphleteer and essayist, advocate and critic, and shows the spectrum of issues with which he has engaged. Yet Hutton has remained true to his best journalistic instincts. He has proved to be t only an acute thinker but an engaged writer and effective popularizer. Brought together, his work over the last ten years represents the emergence of a new politics and new political imagination in Britain. Founded on a coherent critique of neo--liberal ecomic orthodoxy and monetarist practice, and a sophisticated reassessment of neo--Keynesianism, Hutton has put the politics back into political ecomy. The case he makes for new ecomic institutions, the regulation of global capital markets, the refounding of British industry, has always been matched by the complementary requirements of a new politics which is consensual, democratic, open and invative and which must be pursued as much in Brussels and the regions and nations of the UK as at Westminster.
- Author BiographyWill Hutton is Editor in Chief of The Observer. He is one of Britiana s most distinguished journalists and the author of The State Wea re In (1995, Vintage) and The State to Come (1997, Vintage).
- Author(s)Will Hutton
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication06/12/1998
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Note0
- Weight570 g
- Width160 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.